Saturday, September 5, 2009

Enneagrams

So we've been doing Enneagrams (pronounced Any-a-grams), which is a tool used to help us learn more about who we are, and how we can work togther as a group. There are 9 different personality types, numbered between one and nine. Each type had a name which described what that personality type was focused on such a “Helper” or “Achiever”. Everybody has a little bit of each of the types within their personality, but had one that was more central to who they are.
Our first experience with the Enneagram was a quick online test which we took before we left that told us that we were probably one of three types, but couldn't tell us which one. When I got here I did 2 more tests to figure out which type I was, and I finally decided that I was a six. A six, or Loyalist, is someone who sees everything that can go wrong, and tries to fix things. We feel the need to be dependable for everyone, because to us it's only when we can count on something that we feel secure. We are also Ambiverts, being both introverted and extroverted depending on the situation, this is because we'll try one thing, and if it doesn't work we'll overcompensate.
Being a six helps me to understand why I can be so, i don't know... intense, when I commit to something, I commit to it, 110 percent, but that something has to be stable because I am trying to find something that I can trust to be stable in my life, an example could be that time when I identified as communist, I was doing so, because I thought that communism offered a stability, but when I learned more about how communism had failed in the soviet union, and how it had failed the little man, I realised that it wasn't something that I could trust in, and therefore as a six something that I can't commit to.
One of the things that I've been learning lately is that I can't trust in outside forces because outside forces are always going to fall, this is a world of impermanence, and things change. There are only two things that I can trust in, I can trust in myself to do my best, and be there for others, and that I can trust in God, who will always be there for me, that I need to build my life on him because when the storms come, I know I'll fail, but, God will never, ever fail, and will always be there for me.

Therefore these Enneagrams have been really helpful to me in helping me to understand myself better, and I would highly recommend that people check it out.

1 comment: